Recently have discovered a diverse community of individuals rejecting the current Web2 (social media) and Web3 (Blockchain/NFT/metaverse/whatever else is bucketed in Web3) and back to the non-commercial, unique roots of the Internet that existed before the widespread centralization of the Internet. A time when site’s goals were not to get you addicted to the dopamine hits of likes and aggravation, but to simply express the creativity and interest of their creators.
May Web 0 Projects
- Approximate Pi Day - A celebration of July 22nd as approximate Pi day (22/7 ≈ 3.1428 ≈ 3.14159). The site is also an exploration of using modern DevOps/JAMStack technologies to host a Web0 site.
- This Blog - Click the fox in the corner to see the soruce code that drives this site. Kind of accidentally Web0.
- Digital Wellbeing
- I Miss Human Curation
- No to Web3
- Smartphones Are the New Cigarettes
- The Commoditization of Social Interaction and Other Progress
- The Unersonable Effectiveness of Simple Websites
- Organizating the World’s Information
- YesterWeb - My intro to Web0, so first site on this list!
- Curlie - A user-organized directory in the spirit of DMOZ (and Yahoo in the before-fore time)
- Duck Duck Go Search Engine - If you need to search, use an search engine that protects your privacy
- Tilde Town - A linux host providing web hosting and IRC, with SSH access. Reminds me of “SSH/Telnet” servers of the 90s/00s, before you could spin up cloud hosting on demand.
- Tilde Verse: A loose association of like-minded tilde communities.
- Status Cafe - A simple service to just display one’s current status.
- Sadgrl’s Webring Directory - Webrings are an interesting way to discover new content, and glad to see there are many still around and maintained.
- NeoCities - The successor of Geocites. Great if you want a basic web hosting environment.
- Create Your Own Webring - A nice process for hosting a webring on Netlify, driven by Github.